Rogers Park Chamber of Commerce

Monday, February 19, 2018

The Changing Chicago Accent




"When I was driving across the Canadian/U.S. Border, the U.S. Border Guard asked where I was from. I said, “I am from Chicaga.” The Federal Agent said, “You have a lot of Chicago in your speech” and waved me on to continue home. That was the first time someone let me know that I spoke with a Chicago accent.


Explore more of the classic Chicago accent. “Da dialect of da Daley’s” is layered with history and is fast disappearing. Ted McClelland, author of How to Speak Midwestern, will discuss the origin of the Chicago accent, its characteristics, and evolution.

Come find out why Chicagoans talk more like people from Buffalo than our neighbors in Wisconsin."




Rogers Park Branch Library
6907 N. Clark St, Chicago, Illinois 60626
Saturday, March 10, 2 P.M.

Articles